Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Doubting My Doubts

It's no secret that the adversary does his very best to instill doubts into our minds. He disturbs us with thoughts like, "Is the church really true?" "Was Joseph Smith really a prophet?" "Is Thomas S. Monson really our prophet today?" As a missionary, many of my doubts sound like this: "Am I really supposed to be on a mission right now?" "Am I doing the Lord's work, or am I just trying to convince people about the church?" "Isn't there something better I could be doing with my time?" Unfortunately, doubts are a reality of life. The adversary does everything he can to convince us that our doubts are truth. Doubts are never truth!
In an effort to encourage the members of the Church who are struggling with doubts, our dear Apostle, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf stated, "doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith. We must never allow doubt to hold us prisoner and keep us from the divine love, peace, and gifts that come through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ." My mission president, President Swain, has said that as soon as doubt comes, faith leaves. As much as it applies to missionary work, it can apply to real-life situations. I am asking you, my dear friends, to doubt your doubts. Don't let your faith waver. Trust in the Lord. Like Job says, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." Even if God brings you low (like the currant bush story; see D. Todd Christofferson's talk, "As Many as I Love, I Rebuke and Chasten") you must always trust Him. Build your foundation on Him. Fast and pray often. Trust Him. Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment